Like most other kids of his generation, David’s first experience of the martial arts was a traditional one and began in 1991 with Shotokan Karate. In just under 3 years he gained his black belt under the revered Sensei Kienosuke Enoeda, 9th Dan and in 1999 was graded to 2nd degree black belt under Sensei Andy Sherry, 9th Dan. After a few years of instructing David became a little despondent with the structure and delivery of Karate as a whole and began training mixed martial arts and submission wrestling in Kilburn at the gym of the London Shootfighters.
Mixed martial arts had not been in the UK long at this point – it was a great time to be training. Along with sessions at the London Shootfighters David also trained Brazilian Jiu Jitsu under Ronaldo Campos at London’s Tokei and Muay Thai under Dave Scarborough at the Minotaur gym in Welwyn Garden City, as a result, on Saturday 13th October 2001 David fought his first MMA bout as an exhibition match and won at 70 seconds of the first round. Culminating in a British title fight against Paul Jenkins and a European super-fight against Javier Garcia from Spain, David’s MMA career was abruptly ended in 2003 due to a knee injury with a record of 4-5-0.
In 2008, now with an academy of his own and whilst coaching Judo, David stumbled across a website that was to dramatically change his training methods and outlook on everything from training, conditioning and life itself – the Jiu Jitsu Brotherhood – and after an initial seminar with Nicolas Gregoriades a new direction and energy was created. David has had the great opportunity to train under some of the world’s best fighters and coaches from all over the world from many different disciplines, also with a Bachelor’s degree in Sports Science he is currently working full-time as the head coach in all classes delivered by the Tōukon Academy.
A first degree black belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu under Mestre Mauricio Gomes, a black belt in Judo and a second degree black belt in Shotokan Karate he is also the founder of a number of Jiu-Jitsu platforms, resources and initiatives:
- Rostrum Grappling: Consistently Attentive Jiu-Jitsu™”
- Grow Your Kids Classes: Insights for coaches to better align, brand, communicate, deliver & engage.
- Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in Schools™: independent scheme established to promote Jiu-Jitsu practice within UK schools.
- Jiu-Jitsu Tots™: the UK’s first Jiu-Jitsu specific play-based program for pre-school children.
- Grappling with Education™: an independent body set up to engage with a number of different groups across all key areas of the education spectrum.
- Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu for Parents™: online portal full of advice and educational material for Jiu-Jitsu parents.
As is so important, through David Webb, you can trace the lineage of the Tōukon Academy right back to the founders of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu:
David Webb // Nicolas Gregoriades // Roger Gracie // Carlos Gracie Jr. // Carlos Gracie